Monday, July 6, 2009

Brain Excerpts

This has really turned more into a religious blog. I was never trying for it to be that way - I also wasn't trying to have it be non-religious. I love posting about life and love and friends and food and all those things that are blessings.. as well as the rougher things, things that make me sad, hurtful things that have made me grow. I think what it is is that I've just been learning and experiencing so much lately that I want to share it - in simple hope of passing it along to someone who may read it and be struck in similar ways. My main encouragement is for people to know and grow in the Lord and to make disciples. I want to challenge people.

I truly believe things have gotten unbalanced. My life is unbalanced - I'll be the first to admit that and Mom will be the second to admit it. But the balance I'm talking of here is: ...

...Christianity. I think we've bought too much into the American gospel. The believer who only wants:

1. Expositional Preaching (I myself have a harder time paying attention if the sermon is from "Various Texts" - it's nice having it move in order. I'm working on it though. There is no reason for me to not pay attention. Summerfest is a great time to challenge myself in this),

2. The song set that is 4-5 songs in the beginning of the service with a scriptural interlude between songs -(hymns?, praise songs?, drums?, new songs?, old songs?, electric guitar?, raise hands?, clap?, stand? sit?, I mean seriously people - it's worship - it's MUUUUSIC - the ONLY thing you should be worrying about is what is going through your heart - if you are truly worshiping God you should be able to worship no matter the musical setting) exactly 20 minutes.

3.Sunday School, Children's Ministry, going to a Bible study on Thursday night and AWANA on Wed.

Not too many of these things were part of the original NT church. I've heard it said that the NT church consisted of: The Word, Praying, Breaking Bread and Baptizing . . To that I would add - A place to exercise Spiritual Gifts and Church Discipline. That should be church. It's basic isn't it?

Music can contribute - yes, we see that all over Psalms. Children's ministry/Sunday School can be helpful - yes, but nowhere is it seen in scripture (unless I'm missing it?).

Why do we add so much to church? What is the point? Why is the church so busy? Why is everyone worn out? Why do 70% of youth walk away from the Lord when they graduate from High School? Why is the 'General Fund' so low? Why do we have building projects going on? Why do people have to go through a Baptism Class in order to get baptized? And then, why do they have to read a 2 page testimony? Did people dress up in their finest clothes in Acts when they went to church? Were there choirs? Why are we so distracted? Why have we added 89 points to the original few?

I don't have a solution. I just think that people are so just going with the flow of the Church that they haven't even stopped to consider what it is they are doing, what they are a part of. It's a lovely hammock Satan has us swinging in. So breezy and comfy with the allusion that we deserve it and have earned it. These rights to have comfortable church where we can worship distraction free and complain if it's not how we think it should be. Who cares if a baby cries during church? Who cares if you gotta bring a toy or 12 to keep them occupied? It shouldn't be a problem. People should just be so excited to hear the word and pray and have communion and witness baptism and use their gifts. That should be it. That should be church.

I think we've made it too hard and nobody really realizes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment