Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ponderings in the Office.

I've begun to realize that there is something at work that doesn't sit well with me.

There is the typical American tradition of asking someone "How are you?" and the typical American traditional response, "I'm good. Thanks, how are you?" But here at work it's different. I ask someone, "How are you?" and they respond, "I'm really GREAT! Thanks for asking!" I should be happy about this, except I'm not.

I don't understand. I'm the one who lives the great life (even when there are trials). I'm the one who has eternal reason for living joyfully through my day no matter what's going on. But day in and day out over here it's "I'M GREAT!" Are they faking? I think so. Are they covering up? Probably. Do they realize that they are content with the existence of their lives that are headed to hell? I doubt they even consider it. It bothers me. And moreso I think to myself I need to somehow show these people that they need Christ.

In the past it seems that I've been able to do that with the life I live. By having a life of peace and joy and hope because in a changing world my circumstances are controlled by my unchanging God. My path is already set for me and while it may not be the plans I thought, they are the plans God has chosen for me. But I'm faced with a new challenge here. Because just living my life doesn't seem to be enough. I'm starting to feel that God has been/is preparing me so that He can begin requiring more.

2 comments:

  1. yeah...

    sometimes people actually think they're fine. and like you said, most of the time they really aren't.

    you know, there's an element to the "how are you" question that really depends on the context of the situation, too. I find that... after sincerely talking to someone for a little bit, a well placed and sincere well man, how are you doing? actually gets someone to really open.

    sometimes it just takes more than just asking how someone is doing, though. because, you know...

    'I'm at working, I'm making money, I'm putting food on the table,' can translate into "I'm great!"

    "how's your family?" "how's your wife?" "what'd you do this week end?" "how's the economy hitting you?" people have to work harder to avoid the more specific questions, you know?

    just some thoughts. (and some lovin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they young adults? Are they looking to climb "the ladder" in the copany? Are they down-to-earth or are do they tend to be brown-nosers?

    ReplyDelete