Tuesday, January 20, 2009

5 Months of Adam



Today is month number 5 that I’ve been Adam Howard’s girlfriend. I don’t know who reads my blog (Hi people) but I’ll just share a bit about him.





Facts:
Adam is a student at Master’s.
He’s a 4th year Junior majoring in Biblical Studies.
He recently turned 22 (so I follow typical Ashley tradition).
He grew up in Orange County with his mom and dad and he has 3 older brothers and 1 older sister.
He got saved when he was 19 and would tell you he has lived a radically changed life from that point.
He is currently working 3 part time jobs.
1. ASB Chaplain of the Master’s College
2. Chapel Tear Down Crew
3. PR/Marketing Rep for Embroid Me…
Adam plans on planting a church in Boulder, Colorado in the next few years.

Truths:
Adam has quickly become the love of my life. He loves the Lord and pursues the Lord in ways that far surpass my own pursuits. The Lord has gifted him with being able to teach (he has other giftings as well, but I will write about those later) and so Adam has a very broad understanding of scripture and is always able to help me and guide me into understanding and applying it to scenarios of life. He has been patient and loving yet confrontational with me as I’ve sinned. I’ve hurt him many times over in the past 5 months but he has held no bitterness towards me. He is so gentle with me and affirms me in many ways that I lack confidence in. He desires to just love me and provide for me and pursue me and is working those things into his everyday life. He swooped in and uprooted me from my routine and overturned my schedules and has been so great for me. He brings me the Word and he prays with me and encourages my heart deep down. We laugh together and enjoy being together. It’s been a great match and a great bond.

Adam moved up here a year and a half ago to attend The Master’s College. Over the summer he lived in an apartment with several (like 4 or 5) guys who all attend Placerita. In the Summer, Placerita hosts Summerfest. Since all of Adam’s roommates were going to this Summerfest thing he decided to come check it out. I play the violin every Sunday night. Adam saw me playing that very violin one Sunday in July. He started praying about me. He started asking friends about me. He gradually worked info out of friends and found my blog. He spent a month pursuing me and praying about me and getting advice from his dad. Adam knew about my divorce before he even introduced himself. One Sunday night when I was over talking to Lisa, Adam came over and introduced himself. The next day I had a Facebook email waiting for me. I wrote him back. He responded. So did I. We hit it off quickly and my friend Susan Isaac told me Adam was a great guy and that she highly respected him. Coming from Susan – that is HUGE. So Adam and I started talking a bit more. We eventually went out on a coffee date and talked for 2 hours with no awkwardness before I had to dash to Sylmar to give violin lessons. After that we talked on the phone a couple times then met one night, went for a walk and ‘DTR’ed. That was August 20th.

I think the thing Adam and I have seen to be the most encouraging in our relationship is the way the Lord has answered the prayers we have prayed together or for each other. Those prayers have brought out a lot of sin and a lot of necessary growth in light of that. These’ve been some hard months but really sanctifying. And that is a blessing of this relationship. It hasn’t been all hard and trial filled though. We’ve had some good times and some fun adventures.

We’ve already accomplished one of my dreams which is: To write a song! We pulled the words straight out of Psalm 145 and wrote a song in just a few hours.
We’ve traveled to Kyle, Texas where we spent Thanksgiving with Adam’s folks.



















We’ve traveled to Orange County where we played on Adam’s brothers worship team one Sunday morning, followed by a brief dinner with the Pope.
We’ve started a journal that we keep together where we chronicle things of our relationship that we don’t want to forget about/what we’ve learned/what we’ve prayed for.
We’ve finished one semester as a couple. And are beginning our second. (It’s like I’m back in school)
We’ve laughed and I’ve cried. Maybe Adam has cried too. I know he has come close.
We’ve watched Fireproof and Benjamin Buttons.

We’ve celebrated our birthdays and Christmas and New Year.












It’s been a good season. Full of growth. Full of richness. Full of profit. Full of blessing.

We’re gonna keep going.

7 comments:

  1. I dunno ... sounds a bit too awesome to be true ...
    I hope I get to meet him someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every word i wrote is true amy. are you being serious or kidding me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo...Ooo...I read your blog! This makes my heart smile. i am filled with JOY to see how the Lord has brought love into your life!
    -Megan Ochoa

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally kidding, as usual.

    ... he sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I trust your judgment, babe - it's gone through the fire, for sure...

    and all I can really say, erin, is that I'm going to keep on the direction we've been going - if you're the one who's gonna be following me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Erin, just finsihed reading your blog and found it very nice. Thanks for writtining the cool stuff! I have a letter that was written long ago about Adam (his kindergarten teacher) in Oceanside. It is very sweet and insightful. I will share with you some time.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete