Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Music

I feel like I'm missing out on Christmas and I dont like it.. and it's not my fault so don't think this is a post about being too busy.

In my life this year there has been a serious lack of Christmas music. I've reached the point in my adult days that I can no longer wait until Thanksgiving to play Christmas music. So normally in October I bust out my favorite CDs and start playing them. However:

1. Work
2. Church
3. Eateries and shopperies

1. Until just 3 days ago we had a Christmas Grinch in our office who would NOT put Christmas music on. It's December. It's freezing outside. We have a Christmas tree up and shining in the office. But NO Christmas music anywhere. It started becoming a battle. The minute the gentleman who handles the music would step out of the office or go to lunch, a lovely co-worker would intervene with Christmas music, but the minute she left we were back to Lifehouse or Coldplay or Eagles.. .all very good music. But I can hear that 340 other days of the year. So what did I do? I brought in my own Christmas CDs and listened to them at my computer with my little earphones. What did that accomplish? A little bit. I got to listen to Christmas music. But the minute I had to move or get up it was back to Dave Matthew's or Colbie Callait or Queen .. all good music, just not fitting the mooooood. I began to resent the guy in control of the music who was really not supposed to be in control of the music. I began to feel really bad for my coworkers. I could listen to my personal Christmas music and even then it was interrupted. But Christmas is not a personal holiday and deserves to not be interrupted! So I had been working on mustering up some courage to confront this person. Couldn't do it. I didn't want the one co-worker who stepped up everytime to be left alone in her endeavors. I had planned on marching over to the gentleman and saying HEY! Give me Christmas or I die! But I know he doesn't work that way. If I challenged him he would become angry. So I waited. Several times I began an email to him, but I had to wait until my heart was more right and to make sure I could really phrase things kindly. Eventually, Tuesday I sent him an email. And mooooooooooostly since then we've had Christmas music. Still heard some Lifehouse yesterday and some Coldplay this morning. But at least I know my coworkers and I are cheered by the fact that we are hearing Christmas music after it was a bit of a battle to get it going and that we get to hear it for the few days before Christmas comes.

2. Our worship pastor at church whom I love and am thankful for and who does great work. Has refused and deprived the church of singing Christmas songs these past 2 Sundays at church. Mom sent him an email to find out what was going on and he stated that most Christmas songs words weren't what he was looking for in quality/standard that he chooses for the church and so he has avoided them. I wasn't sure what to think of that? My first response was that after coming through my divorce and it officially taking place at Christmas time I had worshipped to Christmas music over the past 2 years like never ever ever before. All those lines that you memorize when you are 4 and sing over and over and over every year had never been truly discovered or appreciated by me until just 2 years ago. So to say that Christmas music isn't worshipful - or at the least that there are just a few songs that are - hurt my heart a bit. I understand his desires and his approach and his goals.. just not sure that I really agree with him on this. Especially in light of Christmas music having a general lack this year.

3. When eating out or in retail stores. To me (- though I haven't paid attention at every place -) I am just not hearing Christmas music. I asked today at a local BBQ place why they weren't playing Christmas music and the guy just glazed right over the question basically stating that he had no idea why.

Sidenote: Everything says Happy Holidays. It's amazing that that only took like 3 years to reach full effect.

You know that song Where Are You Christmas? by Faith Hill? I don't really like that song.. but the title is reallly true this year. 'Where are you Christmas? Why can't I find you?' Christmas is disappearing. There are many responsible for that, but we need to speak up so that we literally don't have to one day wake up and wonder where Christmas went.

Can you guys (who don't read my blog anymore) comment with some lines from Christmas songs that you find to be worshipful? Let's see what we can find.

I'll start it off:

O Come, O Come Emmanuel:
O come, thou rod of Jesse, free,
Thine own from satan's tyranny;
From depths of hell thy people save,
And give them vict'ry o'er the grave

Oh, come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Oh, bid our sad divisions cease,
And be yourself our King of Peace.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

O come, Thou Wisdom, from on high,
and order all things far and nigh;
to us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.

http://www.liturgy.co.nz/reflection/oantiphons.html - straight scripture for the verses of O Come O Come Emmanuel

3 comments:

  1. Christ , by highest heav'n adored; Christ the everlasting Lord!
    Late in time behold Him come, Offspring of the Virgin's womb;
    Veiled in flesh the God-head see;
    Hail the Incarnate Deity,
    Pleased as man with men to dwell,
    Jesus, our Emmanuel.
    Hark the herald angels sing,
    "Blory to the newborn King."

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)Erin, i have always read your blog.

    2) I agree with you on everything you wrote

    3) I appreciate the gracious way you engaged every one of the people you described that you disagreed with.

    4) Here is one of my all time Christmas favorites:

    Oh, holy night, the stars are brightly shining;
    It is the night of the dear Savior’s birth!
    Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
    Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
    A thrill of hope, the weary soul rejoices,
    For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
    Fall on your knees, oh, hear the angel voices!
    Oh, night divine, oh, night when Christ was born!
    Oh, night divine, oh, night, oh, night divine!

    Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
    With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
    So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
    Here came the wise men from Orient land.
    The King of kings lay thus in lowly manger,
    In all our trials born to be our Friend!
    He knows our need—to our weakness is no stranger.
    Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!
    Behold your King; before Him lowly bend!

    Truly He taught us to love one another;
    His law is love and His Gospel is peace.
    Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother,
    And in His Name all oppression shall cease.
    Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
    Let all within us praise His holy Name!
    Christ is the Lord! Oh, praise His name forever!
    His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!
    His pow’r and glory evermore proclaim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have written "Glory to the newborn King" in my comment above-sorry for the typo :

    ( Anyway:
    "Yet pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    God is not dead nor doth He sleep;
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
    With peace on earth, good will to men.

    verse 4 of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

    "He came down to earth from heav'n
    Who is God and Lord of all.
    And His shelter was a stable,
    And His cradle was a stall;
    With the poor, and mean, and lowly
    Lived on earth our Savior holy."

    verse 2-Once in Royal David's City

    There are so many more, too!!

    ReplyDelete