Sunday, May 11, 2008

2 Small Things

Just the other night there were 2 things I learned.

1. I've been singing America, the Beautiful wrong my entire life. Apparently so have all the other people I checked with. I have a violin student who asked if I could get her a copy of that song, so I copied it out of the hymnal. It's too advanced for her as far as reading goes (with the soprano, alto, tenor and bass lines)so I told her I would write it out with only the melody for her. So Friday night I copied it down and went to fill in the words and discovered: -- well before I get to it... how do you sing those first few lines? -- O beautiful for spacious skies ...

2. My mom read the most hilarious verse out of Nehemiah. Now in the time I know it wasn't funny, but to read it today and to imagine it today made me laugh. Here is the verse:
Nehemiah 13:25 (To read it in context click here.)
I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God's name and said: "You are not to give your daughters in marriage to their sons, nor are you to take their daughters in marriage for your sons or for yourselves.


1. Continued.. O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain. Do you sing it: For purple mountains majesty above the fruited plain? It is actually: For purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain.

There. Glad I could help advance your brains.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...I have always sung it
    wrong:(

    The Living Bible translation says...Nehemiah 13:25...So I argued with these parents and cursed them and punched a few of them and knocked them around and pulled out their hair..." He was very angry at their sin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Nehemiah's example here would be good for some ministers to note.

    As for the song -- I think I was all right with the words; but it may be because I am a bit older than you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I think I didn't use the plural for either -- now I AM confused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I guess "purple mountain majesties" makes more sense gramatically now that I think about it! Thanks for enlightening me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow erin. you crack me up. don't forget to keep your eyes wide open at all times!

    ReplyDelete