Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Blood

This morning I headed over to Masters to donate my blood. I arrived and filled out my paperwork and read through the pages of info. The computers had gone down that morning so they were forced to do everything manually so it took a lot of extra time.

Eventually I was called in and they pricked my finger and asked me a lot more questions.. then I was led over to my little reclining area. Let me just say that the needle hurt! The stinging from it didn't go away the whole time it was in there. Normally you get stuck and that's the end.. you dont think about it any more.. but it stayed stinging until the end. I rolled that little red ball back and forth and back and forth.. and when my bag was full they finished things off and had me lay there. After a few minutes they told me if I was feeling ok I could go sit in the front and drink some juice.

So I got some grape juice and next thing I know I was about ready to pass out. My eyes were seeing black and stars. Two of the nurses came over and were like, "Are you ok?" and I started to say "No" and at the same time they were like, "You're not ok, You're not ok. Lay down. Lay down!" So I did and they put really cold compresses on my neck and forehead and made me cough and keep coughing until they got a paper bag rolled down so that they could hold that over my mouth for me to breathe in and out of. I never fully passed out, but it was really close.. when I had laid at the front of the bus for a bit longer they said they wanted me to move back to one of the beds until I felt better. So I moved back and they put fresh compresses on me. After a bit they gave me water and pretzels to eat and I had to sit up and wait for like 15 minutes until I wasn't lightheaded any longer. It was CRAZY!

**Update - I just got up from writing this post, and took the cotton and tape off my arm. It's been a few hours and the hole was still bleeding a bit so I walked upstairs to get a bandaid from my mom and just about passed out again. It went all black and I hobbled over to and felt for my moms bed and plopped down on it.

I think I probably won't donate blood again, unless absolutely necessary. Because it's no good to still be nearly fainting hours after the procedure.**

6 comments:

  1. I haven't had that happen to me -- neither has D. I have observed young donors who do have that same reaction. Oh well . . . so, what is your blood type? Did you get a blood drop pin or a t-shirt for coming in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they will mail me a card in 6 weeks that has my blood type on it. no pin or t-shirt.. just juice water, cookies and a brown paper bag = ) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know you need to come give blood in central NY. Do you get to have your name put in a drawing to win $$?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, what blood type are you? Was it the same as your dream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of that happening... very strange... so sorry... take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never given blood, but mostly it's because I hate needles...the techs always have such a hard time finding a good vein when they draw blood for tests that I can't imagine them finding one big enough to draw that much blood.

    I don't even know my blood type.

    ReplyDelete