Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ring

It's been troublesome to me what to do about my wedding ring and such. I'm used to wearing a ring on my ring finger now, but as we know, I can't wear my wedding ring. But my finger just looked naked with nothing on it.


I originally took my ring in to a jeweler to have the wedding band removed from the engagement ring so that I could still have the engagement ring to wear as something pretty on my right hand. When we had the wedding band soddered on to the engagement ring though, the jeweler cut into the setting on the engagement ring. It offered more support to the stones and in the long run was gonna be much better for the wear and tear on the ring. It was such a great decision at the time since I would be wearing that ring for life. Now it turned into a big problem. I went to 5 or 6 different jewelers to see what could be done, half said it was not possible to fix the setting and would have to be reset, others said it would be possible but would cost on average $350.


Then a couple weeks ago my mom came downstairs with a ring. My Aunt Liz had sent it home from New York with my mom 6 months ago and my mom had forgotten to give it to me all that time. I truly believe that it was no mistake that she forgot to give it to me, because I got it on a day and at such a moment where it meant a whole whole lot to me to have such a gift. This ring was my great grandma's and I believe was in the family even before it belonged to her. What is amazing though, is that it is a different kind of ring, it has a colored stone like I love. It's in the shape of a flower which I love. And I have really fat fingers, so to me it was even more amazing that the ring fit perfectly on my ring finger.


9 comments:

  1. The ring is big because the ring fit me. Grandma gave it to me because she wanted to -- plus she had no grown daughters to pass it on to. I was the oldest granddaughter. Since I have no daughters, I passed the ring on to my sister next in line so that some day she could pass it on to her daughter. The ring is a sapphire with diamond chips. It was a ring that your great Grandfather Ashley's cousin, Lois Hartell, had. Her husband was a noted jewelry store man in Rochester, NY. (Lois and Ed had no children.)
    Wear the ring with pleasure, Erin. A jeweler will tell you that the ring is worth more as it is than if it is tampered with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful ring erin...I still wish you could wear your wedding ring though :( hope you are doing well

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww... thats so cool... hope things are going good... hopefully we'll talk soon... luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a gorgeous ring... so beautiful. I love saphires!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a pretty ring! I love sapphires. It looks perfect for you, and to have the family history with it is extra precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I LOVE your new ring!!
    What a great story!! What a blessing!
    Wear it with love and pride Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember your great grandma wearing the ring. She loved it too and i knoiw she would be so glad that you have it and that you love it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete